Written by Manuel A. Carmona
Today I'm going to kill three birds with one stone, first I'm going to give a spotlight to those podcasts that shine a light on the many incredible indie comics out there, this will help any indie creator who might have a book they need reviewed and last but not least; comics fans can find a podcast (or podcasts) that they can listen to and learn more about the many indie comics that exist and they can read. I do this because I feel we're all in this together, this isn't about me making it big; it's about ALL OF US MAKING IT! With that said, here's a list of the podcasts I listen to on a regular basis because they discuss indie comics amongst other geek topics.
1. The ComixCentral Podcast Network features Indie Comics, creating, selling & marketing comics, interviews with industry insiders, reviews & more! www.comixcentral.com
2. Escapist Comics Podcast features weekly comics news and reviews! Hosted by Jessica and Jesse, produced in association with The Escapist Comic Bookstore 3090 Claremont Ave. Berkeley, CA.
3. Indie Alley An amalgam of Independent Comic Books and Indie Wrestling. The combination you never realized you needed. with co-hosts, Andrew G. & Fred E. joined weekly by special wrestling commentator Joey Bag of Doughnuts.
4. The Comics Alternative A weekly podcast focusing on the world of alternative, independent, and primarily non-superhero comics. (There's nothing wrong with superhero comics. We just want to do something different.) New podcast episodes become available every Wednesday and include reviews of graphic novels and current ongoing series, discussions of upcoming comics, examinations of collected editions, in-depth analyses of a variety of comics texts, and spotlights on various creators and publishers. The Comics Alternative also produces "special feature" programs, such as shows specifically dedicated to creator interviews, webcomics, on-location events, and special non-weekly themes and topics.
5. NERDSoul The Audio feed of the NERDSoul YouTube Show. NERDSoul, is that intangible fresh--that 70's soul mixed with comics, some sci-fi fantasy, movie geekery, topped off with the Golden Era of Hip Hop. Loving Wu-Tang, Justice League, Star Wars, Stevie Wonder and playing D&D after school. NERDSoul comes from that StreetGEEK that can chop it up with the best, while being up on game around the block and Pop Culture's Movies, TV Shows, Comic Books & more!
6. For the Love of Indie is your #1 podcast for creator owned, independent and small press comics! Delve into some titles you may know little about, discover some incredible creators, and find out about excellent titles heading your way! Additional info and show notes can be found at www.fortheloveofindie.com!
7. Zero Issues Comic Podcast A weekly podcast series hosted by three bald indie comic artists who get together to discuss, analyze and obsess over comic books and all things pop culture over a few beers.
8. COMIC BROS Podcast Join indie comic creators Mark Wise, Jin Wicked, and Root Bradford every month to chat about comics! Reading 'em, making 'em, conventions, business, interviews, comics news, and more!
9. Page Turners: A Comic Book Podcast A twice weekly podcast that discusses comic book story arks one issue at a time. Marvel, DC, Indie, or any other publisher, The boys at page turners will discuss it all.
10. Hey Kids, Comics! is a semi-regular Internet Radio Show in which your hosts, Father and Son Andrew & Micheal Leyland, will pick an issue, story arc, creator or character from the myriad of comics available to talk about and dissect. It can be old or new, a major publisher or an indie, Superhero or Vertigo, heck, a TV show or novel - the sky's the limit as long as the Father & Son duo can find something to argure about. What makes us different from all the other comics podcasts? Glad you asked. We are 2 British people looking at an almost exclusively American art form with love, affection and with just a dollop of irreverance. New episodes appear ONLY on TWO TRUE FREAKS.com
11. Indie-Credible Podcast is the weekly indie game podcast from indie-credible.com, covering news, previews, interviews and more from the world of indie gaming.
12. Imaginary Worlds is a bi-weekly podcast about science fiction and other fantasy genres. Host Eric Molinsky talks with novelists, screenwriters, comic book artists, filmmakers, and game designers about their craft of creating fictional worlds. The show also looks at the fan experience, exploring what makes us suspend our disbelief, and what happens when that spell is broken. Fantasy worlds may be set in distant planets or parallel dimensions, but they are crafted here on Earth and on some level relate to our daily lives. Employing his years of experience in public radio, Eric brings a sophisticated, thoughtfully produced voice to the far-out and fantastical.To access the full archive of Imaginary Worlds episodes, go to www.stitcher.com/premium and use the promo code Imaginary.
13. Making Comics A podcast about making and publishing comics (and yes, reading comics). Your podcast hosts Keith (215 Ink, Kodoja) and Mike (215 Ink) talk with guests and cover a wide range of topics under the comic and graphic novel spectrum.
14. Diversity Issues Podcast We are a podcast that talks about diverse characters, themes and content in indie comics.
15. Comic DNA Indie comic writer Aaron Walther discusses his favorite comics with other comic writers and artists.
16. Comics Obscura Podcast is less a news and review cast and more a locus of ideas. We want to talk about comics in a critical way to spark interesting and enlightening conversations about the medium. We use our platform to celebrate comics of all types--from the mainstream superheroes to the indie darling--and hope to create engaging podcasts that inspire readers to approach comics with a critical eye.
17. Tour De Cons Martha and Rob discuss various comic and pop culture conventions with guests and friends. Artists, superheroes, indie comics, comic books, writers, books, movies, TV, video games, tabletop games, anime, and music are all topics that are covered. Please rate us and subscribe to help more fans find our show. Learn more, contact us, and check out our other podcasts at www.southgatemediagroup.com.
18. Four Color Commentary Comic Nerds and Newbies Assemble! Deep in the Four Color Fortress, The Four Color Comrades meet bi-weekly to chat all about comics for your listening pleasure! Alan loves Hal Jordan, Manga, and the technical side of comics. Chewie is a comic newbie with a love of horror and the dark side. Ian wants super powers, is way into Batman, and is easy to please. Ryan is our indie guru, comics historian, and geek father of two. With our powers combined, we are... Four Color Commentary: The continuing saga of four comic nerds and the books they love!
19. Undercover Capes Podcast Network the BEST Comic Pop Culture Podcast's EVER!
20. Creator At Large Every week on the Creator At Large podcast host Jeremy Melloul speaks with creators and other professionals working in the comic book industry. He digs into how they’ve built their careers, as well as their thoughts and feelings on the industry’s trends and changes. Through these conversations, listeners will not only learn about the industry itself, but also get advice and information on how to build an independent living working in comics.
21. The Awesome Comics Podcast The podcast where the best in the small press comics scene make one hell of a big noise!
22. Talking Comics A weekly comic book podcast by fans for fans. Reviews, discussions, news, contests and more.
23. So Wizard Podcast is your weekly home for nerd news, arguing and random tangents! Three friends unite to discuss the world of nerd! Join Markellus, Aubrey and Joey on a podcast that is SO WIZARD!
24. The Comics Experience: Make Comics podcast provides ~15 minutes of advice per episode on all aspects of creating comics and breaking in to the industry.
25. The MotherF**cker In A Cape podcast series is an informal chat moderated by R. Alan Brooks (writer & co-creator of The Burning Metronome comic book) and Jordan Froelich (the comics guru at Mutiny Information Cafe). We talk with comic book creators, nerd activists and key figures from areas of geek culture that aren't often explored. Geek culture is everywhere! MFIAC looks at where we can all fit into it.
26. Dave Talks Comics A podcast on the subjects of comic books, cartoons, and comic book conventions
27. Discussing Comics is a podcast covering the latest in the worlds of comic books, TV, and movies. We discuss our favorite comic book characters from Marvel, DC, Titan, IDW, Boom!, and more! No hero or villain is off-limits from the printed page to the big screen. Hosted by Kyle Jones, Clarence Brown, Lee Shackleford, and other guests hosts. Discussing Comics is a part of the Discussing Network.
28. "Do You Speak Geek?" is a platform designed to bring the latest and most exciting content from the geek/nerd realm. Covering topics such as comics, TV shows, movies, books, technology, gaming and any other topics of interest from a fan’s perspective.
I'm sure there are many more indie focused podcasts out there, these are just the ones I listen to; maybe you listen to a few different ones that we don't know about. If you do, would you be so kind as to share them with us and everyone else? We're going to update this list with the podcasts you guys share with us. In the meantime listen, enjoy and create; maybe they'll be talking about your comics in their future episodes.